Beer Brats (makes 4 beer brats)
1 Yellow onion, cut into slices
1 Bay leaf
3 Cloves of garlic, roughly chopped
2 Bottles of lager-style beer
4 Uncooked brats
1 tsp Salt
4 S. Rosen’s Brat and Sausage Rolls
Horseradish Cream Sauce
½ Cup sour cream
2 Tbsp. prepared horseradish
Salt to taste.
1 8 oz. Package of sliced white mushrooms
1 Tbsp. butter
½ tsp Salt more to taste
- To prepare the horseradish cream sauce, combine ½ cup of sour cream with 2 Tbsp. prepared horseradish and add salt and more horseradish to taste. Can be made a day ahead of time.
- In a medium high walled pot, sauté sliced onions over medium heat until they soften, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook for an additional 30 seconds.
- Add both bottles of beer and the bay leaf, increase heat to bring to a vigorous simmer, and then add the brats.
- Lower heat back to medium and cook covered for 15-20 minutes.
- At this point melt the butter in a small nonstick pan on medium heat, add mushrooms and salt when butter has melted. When mushrooms are tender, pull from heat.
- Remove brats from beer, finish on grill. Strain beer mixtures, reserving onions in a side bowl fro serving.
Assemble by placing the grilled brat in the S.Rosen’s brat and sausage roll, and top with the beer braised onions, horseradish cream sauce and mushrooms. Pair with your favorite beer and enjoy!